Reverend Charles E. Walton, born July 18, 1948, is the eldest of the five children of Rev. Dr. Clyde B. Walton and the late Creather J. Walton of Garner, North Carolina.
Graduating from Garner Consolidated High School in 1966, he went on to attend Shaw University in Raleigh North Carolina. In 1969, at the end of his junior year at Shaw, Rev. Walton was called into active military duty and served in the United States Air Force for four years. Two years of which were in Upper Hayford, England. After discharge from the military, Reverend Walton returned to Shaw University to complete his Bachelors of Arts Degree.
- 1973 to 1980 Served as a Sunday School Teacher and choir member at the Oak City Baptist Church, Raleigh, NC.
- Served as Youth Director, Youth Choir Director, Sunday School Teacher and Deacon at New Bethel Baptist Church, Macon, NC.
- 1988 Preached his initial Sermon at New Bethel Baptist Church in November, and was elected to serve as Assistant Pastor.
- 1990 While serving at Second Baptist of Macon on the 4th Sunday of each month, he was called to Pastor, Olive Grove Missionary Baptist Church in December
- 1991 Installation as Pastor of Olive Grove Baptist Church
- 2000 Received his Master of Divinity Degree, Shaw University, Raleigh, NC., after completion of the basic courses through Shaw University’s Extension at Big Ruin Creek Baptist Church, Henderson, NC
Olive Grove has grown from service once a month - to three Sundays a month with Bible Study, Sunday School, a Masters Class and other ministries. But, the greatest challenge came in 1996, when Olive Grove Missionary Baptist Church burned. With unyielding prayer and help from the American Baptist Churches, USA, the Olive Grove was rebuilt and dedicated in May 1997.
Other ministry involvements include: Chairman, Finance Committee, GBSC of NC; Chairman, Warren Co. JCPC; Moderator, United Shiloh Baptist Association, Vice-Moderator, United Shiloh Baptist Association; Chairman, Election Committee General Baptist State Convention of N.C.; General Board Member, GBSC-NC; North Carolina Social Services Association; Vice Moderator, Reedy Creek Association.
A retiree, Rev. Walton was employed as a Social Worker Supervisor with Warren County Department of Social Services for 22 year and Wake County for 12 years as a social worker before that.
He is married to Mary Ann Alston Walton, they have 3 adult children Charles Jr. (Markeeyah) Justin (Renita), and Kelley Anne and 5 grand children.